Sugar- the sweetest poison. If we all knew the toxic chemicals and processes that are done to make refined sugar, and the complete and potential effects it can have on the body, we would never eat it again. Okay, I'm one to talk. Those who know me well, know that I don't steer my bandwagon in the iron rod fashion when it comes to food. But I do like to educate myself as much as possible. Lately I've been on a low sugar kick. I have tried to utilize other sugar options for homeade treats and desserts. Maple syrup- (I miss you, please come to Arizona.) excellent alternative for sweetening desserts. Maple syrup will help eliminate the toxins in your body and it is rich in B vitamins and minerals. Dark chocolate- at least 70 percent. I indulge in one piece per day, it too is rich in vitmins and will eliminate toxins in your body. Molasses- very strong flavor, choc full of vitamins and minerals, only a little will do, mix with honey. Honey is what I mainly use but beware, it actually has more calories than sugar and you don't need to use as much because it is so sickeningly sweet. It is also full of good stuff too. I have heard of using stevia for cooking but have never tried it because it is so exorbitantly expensive. Stevia is an ultra sweet herb- no calories and will not cause tooth decay. Aspartame, nutrasweet, splenda- DON"T EVEN GO THERE- do you have a death wish- enough said.
.
So my blog today is 2 of my favorite fat free sugar free recipes for your enjoyment- pig out and don't even feel bad!@
I use unsweetened applesauce instead of margarine or butter in my recipes. It makes for a light and springy texture. You will love it. You do have to pam the pan though.
Raisin/ Oatmeal Cookies
(or dark chocolate oatmeal)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/4 c honey (or maple syrup)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
-stir it up then add:
2 1/2 cups ww flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 c raisins or dark choc pieces
mix, stir it all up together
Bake for 10 min on 350
.
Maple Banana Loaf
3 mashed bananas
1/2 c applesauce
2 eggs
1 c maple syrup or honey or combo
mix it up then add:
2 c whole wheat flour or rye or spelt
2 c rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Mix it all together, pour into a loaf pan
Bake 350 for 1 hour
6 comments:
saw some yogurt on sale at superstore today, but it was splenda sweetened - i don't touch that stuff either!
and: http://lisbeths-fruit.blogspot.com/search?q=sugar
I'm right with you on the low sugar deal. I always use honey or fructose to sweeten, maple syrup or real fruit syrups on pancakes, etc.
I really don't believe in giving candy to kids -- except maybe a couple pieces on Halloween (and the rest they can put in a jar labeled "Candy Bank", when full they can trade it in and dump it in the trash for a few dollars each to choose a little toy or game at Walmart or the dollar store).
Honestly, I don't put candy in their stockings -- they're excited enough with a little personal box of raisins and an applesauce cup! I also don't do candy on Easter. I fill the eggs with trail mix. They love it! I also look for the low sugar jams, unsweetened applesauce, canned fruit in real juice, plain yoghurt (and I add a little honey and cinnamon and they're in heaven), beat heavy cream and sweeten with fructose instead of buying Cool Whip, and all natural peanut butter (just peanuts, please!). I'm convinced that we're all healthier and happier for it!!
You're smarter than you might realize! My naturopath put me on an anti-inflamitory diet to reduce, well, inflamation in my spine. It's very important to reduce sugar and what you've said here is exactly what she said! Also, peanuts cause inflamation, and avoid red meat, including pork, if anti-inflam is your game.
Michelle, I'm utterly speechless! Saves on the dental bills too, I'm certain!
I just wish I would practice what I preach. I am trying to buy raw cane sugar instead of refined for baking as well. Its better but should still only be used in moderation. And its expensive!
Post a Comment