Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tonto National Monument









This is a really great site to behold. Ancient cliff dwellings in the side of a beautiful mountain with picturesque scenery. Sound like a good day? It was, for the most part. Well, our adventure started at the visitor center. We looked around, read some of the history and posts. Then asked where we pay. The kind lady at the desk said, oh we're only accepting donations today.
Okay, so we started off on the trail. Nobody stopped us. Beautiful day, sun was shining. Of course we were the only ones out there seeing as Arizonians are afraid of their sunshine. Well halfway up the winding trail we come across a small barrier. I am not brilliant and so I figured it was just a closure to bicycles or wheelchairs. Didn't think about it much, just crossed it like a fool. Then further up the mountain we came to some breathtaking views, took some pictures, drank some water, kept going. We're almost there, getting excited, we come across a second barrier. This one actually had a sign attached. All it said was "beeware of bees". Okay, I grew up on a honey bee farm, whatever, we're going through.
We get to the dwelling, which is breathtakingly cool. We crawled through the rooms, Elena tried out the stone whetting. We took alot of pictures. Then Dan noticed two bees, so we decided maybe we oughtta go.
I must be real ignorant because when we returned to the visitor center, a new park ranger was there and he was furious to say the least. His question to me: What the heck made you go through two barriers in a national reserve? Big oops. He almost called "the law" on us. He said those bees are africanized and he shuttered to think what could have happened to us. Well, we are ignorant and not too bright for going through the barriers but if my poor canadian fool self would have known that the bees were africanized, I would have hightailed my family right out of there.
I was upset that we were not warned before we went on the trail and upset that the ranger tore at us for 20 minutes afterwards. Seeing as he was watching us in his little spy hole the whole time. The yak.

However the whole experience was fun, except for the last part and I'm sure glad we didn't get killed by the killer bees. One thing is certain, I will never be so ignorant to cross a barrier again, even if things look safe. It really is a fantastic place to behold and the scenery and landscape are lovely but, if you plan of visiting be well informed if conditions are safe, before you go up.

2 comments:

RaccoonsEatingCherries said...

Killer BEES? Yikes! So, along those lines...last Saturday Jonathan's cubs group went hiking here in Vancouver and what do you think they came across? None other than a swarm of Africanized BEEZ! Yes - here in O Canada! Didn't I keep telling you, what are you going to get down in Arizona that we can't offer you?...eh? Well, JT got a bite and a sting, while only one of the other cubs was not touched, most of them went francially running around and swatting at the bees, which "hunted them down" and clung to their clothing, finding their way down their necklines and up their shirts, attaching themselves to the boys clothes! The leaders had to yank their shirts off and literally pick the bees off their clothes! Thought I'd share that experience with you, letting you know that the park ranger may not have been the only one with his eyes on you! I'm sure you were more than lucky! And I'm so glad you were able to have a wonderful time. We miss and love you so much!! Becky

Suzi said...

Oh my gosh, thats so scary. I didnt' think the AHB have already made it to canada. I'm glad the boys got away. SOme stories that I've heard, people fight them off for hours. I would almost rather have an encounter with any other animal. We miss you too Becky, glad you found us here.

About Me

My photo
My family and I started this blog mainly for scrapbooking purposes. I hope its not too boring and that you will check in from time to time.