
Okay I'm not homesick. I can't even ever see myself moving back to Canada. But I do miss my family and reading my Grandfathers journal last night helped to remind me of the rich heritage and blessings I recieved while growing up in the prairies of southern Canada.
I have found that alot of Americans know very little about Canada. I can't exactly blame them for it, why would they care? My friend here actually said- Oh, now I have an exotic friend! I chuckled and said, Oh Canada's not so different, just colder. It is a common joke among Canadians to laugh at our American neighbors and their remote knowledge of their northern neighbors. Questions like- Canada? Do you leave your dog sleds at the border? Do you live in Igloos? Do you know so and so from Ontario? But for my sweet American friends today I will ode to Canada and maybe enlighten them on some simple facts that make it a cool place (literally).
My great grandfather grew up in Utah during the late 1800's. After losing his dear wife and two firstborn twins he decided he needed new air. He wanted to see for himself what all the talk was about the Northwest territory where land was being handed out like candy in a parade. He was one of the first emigrants to farm my homeland in south Alberta Canada and hardshipped five long years of hording mosquitos and working new land. His efforts paid off and his backbone was passed down through the generations right to my own father who still farms some of the same land today. My canadian farm roots run deep.
My fathers side of the family is fiercly proud of their heritage and wave the flag tall and firm during Canada day ceremonies. Thats my father in the picture. (Yes they were appalled when we made the move to Arizona, but mainly cause they'll miss us and 'how will you stand living in a hot hole'. Oh, Arizona isn't so bad, even to a canadian fool. So back to my ode to Canada, what do I love about you:
trees, mountains, fresh pine, wildlife, white christmases, glacier lakes, cool breezes, hiking, spots where there is no civilization as far as the eye can see, victoria island, maple leaf, maple syrup, geese, multiculturalism, fall harvest, horses, hutterites, gardens, family, skiing, ice skating on lakes. Oh there is more to mention, but I won't for now.
trees, mountains, fresh pine, wildlife, white christmases, glacier lakes, cool breezes, hiking, spots where there is no civilization as far as the eye can see, victoria island, maple leaf, maple syrup, geese, multiculturalism, fall harvest, horses, hutterites, gardens, family, skiing, ice skating on lakes. Oh there is more to mention, but I won't for now.
Now many of my canadian friends and family ask- why did you move to Arizona? We actually lived here when we were first married but moved back to Canada after 911 for various reasons. My husband dreamed daily of coming back and finally convinced me it was time after our first winter in Edmonton- city of ice. We endured alot of icy roads and heart stopping temperatures. My husband has had several close calls in his semi with ice and cliffs as well as several boughts of bronchitis and pneumonia, it was time to migrate to warmer temperatures and sunny skies.
Arizona is heart warming. Friendly people, gardens to plant at any time all year, outdoor activities year round, no more icy roads, less taxes, cheaper housing, cheaper gas, cheaper everything- it all adds up for us. Though Canada-land of my fathers, I will not forget you and definetly won't hesitate to visit every July, Arizona is now our home, hopefully a place to settle and establish roots of our own.

3 comments:
Suzi - you give me a great place to visit and I hope we do the same for you! Don't forget that what you described is Canada in the Prarries - which is not the Coastal Canada. Though similar, not nearly the same! (No, we haven't given up convincing you to move out here!!) ;]
ha ha, you're right. I do love BC, if only it weren't so expensive, we would have moved there instead.
I am so glad you are in Arizona! But I have to admit, I don't see how you (coming from Canada) can see any beauty here! I love Canada!
Post a Comment